Sunday, October 11, 2009

Positive Thinking=Engagement in a Year?

So, tonight I am in a lonely Sunday night funk and am driving home from Fresh Market to eat yet ANOTHER frozen pizza and possibly drink the whole bottle of cheap French wine ($6.99) when I hear this peaceful sounding lady on my regular NPR station. She sounds so much like Delilah that I hit the SCAN button and then pause. Wait. This is NPR. Surely, whomever they are broadcasting despite the subject, should be something worth listening to.

I hear her tell this heart-felt story of being in one failed relationship after another, and on her 41st birthday, vowing to be engaged by the age of 42. A roll of the eyes immediately from me, and then I stop. Wait. Isn't this kind of like the yellow Post-It that I put on my mirror that stated my wants and needs, for example: getting out of Redneck Roanoke and living among friends and making more bank? Didn't I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and wish on these thoughts every day until it happened?

So, I go back to 89.1. I listen for a few minutes on this woman talk about starting to date guys that are available and how eventually the gods grant her wish of being engaged by her forty-second year of her life. She was promoting daily meditation and uncomfortable self-reflection.

Although my first reaction was to label her as another woman trying to complete her almost perfect life with a man, I stopped when I heard her speak of self-reflection. Thank god I am not the only one out there trying day after day to self-reflect!! And, thank god that there is someone out there that admits that it is the most uncomfortable feeling in the world, but in turn will get you engaged in a year.

My stomach was growling, so of course I didn't hear the end of the story or this lady's name, and even though I would never admit to praying to be engaged in a year, I respect her. After another long weekend of doing exactly what I want and being tired of myself by Sunday afternoon, if I admit it, maybe this is what I am praying for too.

No comments:

Post a Comment