Sunday, October 4, 2009

DUMPED by a 23 year old

23 year old: "Hello."
Erin: "Hi, just wanted to tell you that I got the job in DC and will be moving there this month! Isn't it funny that you just moved back to the burbs of DC (even if you did move back in with your mother) and now I just landed this really important job only a few metro stops away?"
23 year old: "I have to tell you something... (Erin: stomach dropping)..I met someone."
Erin: "Really?! That's great!"
By "GREAT" I meant, WHAT THE F!" But, I remained calm and said, "Well, the last time we talked I asked you if you were dating someone and you said NO." 23 year old response: "I know. I'm sorry."
Sorry? Sorry! You know, I really haven't had much time to process this, and I'm thinking that it was probably just a knee jerk reaction to my out of the blue question, but really? Isn't it a bad thing if your knee jerk reaction is to lie? And why do I tend to think these guys are the most innocent honest things? I mean, I didn't think that he had a lying bone in his HOT body. Am I really that naive? I can preach all day to my friends and refer them to page 62 of "Conscious Dating" but apparently, I can't even spot the lying ones.
Well, to be totally honest, my gut spots them. It had been nagging at me for about a month now that something seemed odd, but instead of taking a hard look at the facts of the situation, I went fishing. I shamelessly started hitting on him over the phone to see how he would react. Like, "Remember that time when we started making out in my car on a warm sunny Saturday..." I thought I had gotten my answer when he was like, "Oh yeah I do. What are you doing in two weeks?" I should have known it was going down hill when a few days before the planned visit he said he had like five dollars in his bank account and couldn't make our rendezvous workout. Let's be clear: we ARE in a recession. Having faced financial difficulties myself, I do not hate on anyone whose roll might be a bit thin. However, this is not going to stop me from spending that last 5 bucks on a tank of gas to spend a weekend of bliss that will last you for at least a month, if you know what I mean.
HELLO ERIN! RED FLAG #32! I'm just like Jane. I completely lose all sense of practical thought when you throw a 23 year old in the picture. Especially one that I picked up on the dance floor after a few vodka tonics. I know what you are thinking, and OK. I admit it. I may have picked up every other guy this way, but HELLO! I started a dating blog. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and you are not helping. HELP!

1 comment:

  1. Girl that child did you a favor. Don't you think one more second on him. Hope everything goes well with your move and transition into new job. Give me details when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete